Search

Project Office Blog

Bay of Islands Hospital – First Walls Go Up!

There was much excitement at Bay of Islands Hospital on 21 September as the first walls were lifted into place.  After years of preparation it is very exciting to finally see some progress. The 12 panels that make up the west wall and the lift shaft of the new build were gently lifted straight off the delivery truck, […]

Read more »

Northland DHB Hospital Redevelopment Bay of Islands Redevelopment

Project History

The Bay of Islands Hospital has a proud record of service to the district. It is one of the four Northland District Health Board hospitals, along with Kaitaia, Dargaville and Whangarei Hospitals.  Before 1950 the Bay of Islands Hospital was for many years under its own Board.

The humble beginnings of the Bay of Islands Hospital began in 1911 with the formation of The Bay of Islands Hospital and Charitable Aid Board and a seeding fund of £150.

In October 1912 The Luminary (the local paper at the time) reported that:

“The building had a main entrance, one large casualty ward and two wards for the ladies. It had two bathrooms fitted in the most modern style and two lavatories, laundry and kitchen facilities.  It had a large cosy veranda closed in with fancy glass and three large bedrooms for the staff.  The hospital building was capable of accommodating 12 patients (ten beds were for maternity patients and two beds for ordinary cases).

The whole of the building inside was finished in plaster, by special experts brought in from Auckland to do this work. A great feature is the fibrous plaster boards which are quite new to the Dominion and this is one of the first large jobs in which they have been used, and worthy of inspection.”

After two years of vigorous lobbying with government and subscriptions, the hospital was built and opened on January 17, 1913 by Vernon H Reed.

Since its official opening, the hospital has had a history of providing care across the entire community including soldiers from the two world wars and sufferers of typhoid and tuberculosis (TB) outbreaks.

The hospital’s maternity annexe was opened in 1927 and the TB ward and military annexe (now the Community Health Services and Administration Building) was opened in 1943.

The Bay of Islands Hospital Redevelopment is a key objective that contributes to the Northland Health Services Plan 2012-2017.   Meeting the future healthcare needs for the people of the Mid-North is a matter that the Northland DHB has considered carefully when making the decision to upgrade Bay of Islands Hospital.