Search

Project Office Blog

New Endoscopy Unit Work Begins

The Whangarei Hospital endoscopy service currently operates from two separate locations; one in the theatre complex and the second in the medical outpatient zone. The service is to be relocated and consolidated to provide a more streamlined service for both acute and elective endoscopy procedures. A new unit is to be built in the old […]

Read more »

Northland DHB Hospital Redevelopment Private: Tumanako

Project History

The History of Norton House

The first ‘new’ Nurses Home was opened in 1924 – here you can see the workers putting finishing touches to the roof. This 2 storey building served as home for staff for more than 60 years. Former staff remember the old building with fondness, and many are the stories of nurses coming home after curfew, sometimes creeping in through fire escapes and the like.

1

The building continued as a staff residence until the late 1980s, when the lounge, with the three arches along the verandah, became offices for the Area Health Board’s newly formed health promotion and planning unit.

2

When Crown Health Enterprise management staff returned to the hospital campus from off site offices in the early 1990s, it was decided to use the staff residence as their office accommodation, but most of it had to be knocked down because of earthquake risk. A separate building owned by the CHE (formerly the community occupational health unit in Okara Drive) was brought up to the site and attached to this 2 storey remnant of the original building.

3

When management staff departed the building in 1996, it became the base for community mental health services. At the same time, it was renamed Norton House.

4

The name was created by combining the names of the CMH locations Norfolk Villa and Walton Plaza into Norton.

5